Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Update from super cool California :)

Ali came home happy from Young Women. Lots of people were there. The tortilla soup her leaders made was good. I couldn't believe it was the same girl I had "dropped off" a few hours before.

Stephen arrived last night. I picked him up with Spence in Brett's new car which was such a nice ride, especially after riding in the suburban all day. Stephen texted Spence as soon as he got off the plane. We were about 5 minutes away, and Spence gets a text from him that says, "Hopped off the plane at LAX.." Teens will get that. It's a song.

Anyway, Stephen kept yelling, "I love this! I can't believe I'm here! I can't believe you live here! How cool!" He was like an excited little puppy dog. He brought a bunch of cookies from Si. I think I'll go have one right now for breakfast. The kids' new friend, Kate, is taking them surfing this morning followed by Santa Monica Pier tonight.

I am going to see about the dang suburban while they are gone.

I thought about deleting yesterday's post, but I think it's probably better to let it slide and just let everyone know it's a new day. The friends are here. Hallelujah. Hopefully the virtual countertops come in today for my new "house." :) Maybe my new chapter in the book I'm reading is on JOY. e

5 comments:

Diane said...

Love your blog. Yesterday's was real and that's good. Today's makes me want to come visit. You truly have a gift for writing and I love your sense of humor. And you!

gma vh said...

Got it. Lived it. Felt it. When we moved from So. Cali I thought I'd never be happy anywhere else. I wasn't from there but we lived there 18 years. I knew I'd never find an "El Cholos" Mexican restaurant, or an "Dominico Italian" or "Steak & Stein" --you get the picture. I moved to the freezing Indiana. Gloomy. Cold. or Hot. Really hot & really sweaty and so humid it was one day of bad hair after another. I couldn't grow anything-it was all so different. I missed my beautiful ferns hanging in baskets at my front door. And my Meier lemon trees. And the shopping!!! And the downtown markets when you needed great fresh things for parties. And speaking of FRESH-where does the rest of the country get their fish?? Nothing better there. I think you just let things morph when they do.
Frankly, you pretty much have to be the bff; chauffeur (the traffic is really horrible, but I didn't get lost if I stuck to the freeways) and the enforcer, and the shoulder. Bruce worked for a year+ that was an over 2 1/2 hour commute on Friday night. Cool.
But I eventually had things become favorites and although we still hit all our favorite restaurants, I go back to the ward, our houses, my favorite shopping haunts-nope-"the feeling is gone, gone gone".
Doesn't mean that the whole thing doesn't stink though. Them's my words of wisdom.
Love Ann

Unknown said...

Loved Ann's comment...Cookies for bkfst solves almost anything!! Rec'd some cute texts from your kids and mine too. Love you all.

Erin Blake said...

Ann, is the feeling gone gone gone because now you live in the best place ever? Or just because you make where you live work and begin to love your current space? I was in the prettiest back yard I have ever seen last night. She had these bushes with HUGE bell flowers drooping down over the waterfall and pool. Lights strung, crisscrossing back and forth. Flowers everywhere. Brett made me go to RS Enrichment, because he says I have to meet women and make friends. Go figure. It was nice. I hope I look back and laugh that I ever struggled with this.

Brock said...

By the way, the other person that would get that text is our 15 year old... uh, I mean, 3 year old daughter. Ellie knows that song word for word!