Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Just one thought before I run to the store and post office.

Yesterday, I was in my car trying to find something to listen to on my iPod. "No, next, no, not feelin it, nope, no, uh not right now.." On and on. I didn't want to listen to any of my same old same old. Then on came the best song in the world that makes me sooo happy. How did you know?! It was "Shop Around" by Captain and Tenille. Good guess! Best song ever.
This got me thinking. You know how sometimes you are asked, "If you could have anyone over for dinner, who would you choose?" People usually answer someone like Mother Teresa, LeBron James, Stevie Wonder, the President. What if I chose Captain and Tennille? Cause you know they're still married right? And they live in Palm Springs. Did you know that they both played keyboards for a time with the Beach Boys? Tennille was the only female beach boy and had to convince security many times to let her go on stage with the boys...that she wasn't just a fan. That's where she met Daryl aka Captain. They went on tour together with the Beach Boys and the rest is history. My night with them might go something like this...

They pull up to the house in their cadillac with the license plate "MUSKRTLV". I open the door and Captain would get out of the car first. I'd be all, "Hey Daryl Dragon."

He might be impressed I know his real name. Tennille is still putting lipstick on that great mouth of hers in the car.

He'd be all, "Just call me Captain," as he tips his hat.
I'd be all, "Ok Captain. Come in, come in!"

Tennille comes up to the door and I remember what a looker she is. A looker, yes, but down to earth. 'Everybody's aunt' I used to think.

I ask Captain if he might want to jam on the keyboard with me. He helps me get this down out of Spencer's closet.

Then I hurry and change in my room into something a little more nautical if you will, maybe my navy shirt with white stripes with a splash of red, so I feel more at one with them.
I grab my microphone for Tennille, but realize I only have one. She says it's OK, because her voice has gotten weaker with age, and if I just sing really loudly when I tightly harmonize with her, we should be good.

We play and play and play. I trade off between improvising with Captain-- sitting on the right side of the bench, while he sits on the left--and singing back up for Tennille. She sits, because she's a lot older now, and I stand and do little actions for words like.. "My mama told me-- you'd better shop around..." I'd point my finger as if my mama were really telling me. Stuff like that. Oh and on 'Love Will Keep Us Together,' I could pump my hand lightly over my heart while swaying back and forth (written by Neil Sedaka by the way). I would definitely stick my hand out when she sings "Stop! Cause I really love you." That's a given. Oh shoot, they'd get a kick out of that. I'd really belt the back up on "Nah nah nah nanaaaah! Nah nah nah nanaaah!"

As the evening winds down, Brett might bring out the apple cobbler I made earlier. Professional musicians really love homemade stuff. They just don't get it enough playing gigs all of the time. When they get up to go, they tell me how nice it was to play with me. I say, "We should do it again! Maybe once a week or so after Kate goes to bed, I could sneak over and just jam with you." They are excited about that possibility and ask me to sing back up for Tennille at a Senior Citizen's Ball coming up in a few weeks. I say that I will.

As he helps her down our front steps, I say "Bye Tennille. Bye Captain. It was a lovely evening."
He turns back and says, "Just call me Daryl...Daryl Dragon."

It probably wouldn't happen EXACTLY like that, but it just got me thinking. Enjoy this.

8 comments:

Melwel said...

I laughed out loud 3 times.....you are hysterical!!!, and maybe a tad lonely.
Imaginary friends are good.

Laur said...

First of all the title kills me "Just a quick thought before you go to the store and post office?" C'maan. THIS was your "quick thought before running out the door". Geesh, I love you!
Second, the license plate... "Must create love?" or "Music art love?" ...?

Erin Blake said...

MUSKRAT LOVE. One of their biggies. You obviously don't know Captain and Tennille very well Lala. It's OK. You're young.

SLCphoto1 said...

I had them over a few months back. Wonderful people and it all happened almost like you described. The only difference was that they'd already eaten at McDonalds on the way in case they didn't like what I made. How rude!

Misty said...

"Love Will Keep Us Together" came on the radio the other day (what in the world kind of station would THAT have been?) and I jokingly told my kids that I'd pay $20 if they could name the singers. They all shouted, "The Police!" Suckers.

Captain & Tennille reminds me of driving to Jackson Hole with Fotheringhams in their comfort van thing. You?

Mamalar said...

erin, you have been drinkin too much fancy rootbeer!!!I'm a definite shop around girl myself :)

Unknown said...

As I read I thought...Erin needs help. Fast.
I actually loved them too. Still do. I made Brooke listen to Muskrat love last year. Her reaction : SICK Mother!!! Lve Will Keep us together- Classic. Sing along song.
love you.

Erin Blake said...

I do need help. AAUUUGUGGHGHGHH!!!. If I have enough time to fantasize in my mind about a dinner/jam date with Captain and Tennille, I need help :)

At least I'm going to DISNEYLAND today!! Did you hear it's the happiest place on earth?