Saturday, September 25, 2010

It Turns Out the Sky is Full of Stars


On Friday night, I took Kate and Sydney to the Griffith Observatory. It is part of Griffith Park, which is a HUGE park in the Hollywood Hills. The Greek theatre is located there as well, which is where the girls saw Norah Jones and Corrine Bailey Rae.

I loved it so much. I couldn't believe how peaceful and gorgeous it was up there. I've decided it is a must see for any future visitors. I am sad I didn't know about it before. On the night we were there, the huge telescope was looking at Jupiter. (..and no, that isn't the big telescope that Syd is looking out of. The big telescope is the dome on the left in the top picture with the line waiting to get in.)
This would be a great date night. Very romantic indeed. Lots of couples sitting on the walls and ledges looking at the lights of the city, out to the ocean, and at the Hollywood sign. Lots of couples then kissing.

OK. Trivia Time. If anyone can figure out why there was a tribute pillar and statue of this chap below, you will win a prize. I'm not saying you'll like the prize, but win one you will. Anyone?

12 comments:

Melwel said...

James Dean uses this site in his movie...REbel without a Cause.....
Just a guess....

The Arky Blakes said...

Many of the most memorable scenes from "Rebel without a Cause" were filmed at Griffith's Observatory starring that late Mr. Dean. What is my prize? :)

Erin Blake said...

Yes! Rebel Without a Cause was the first Hollywood movie which featured the observatory as the observatory. It was prominent in that movie. It increased its tourism factor greatly. Since then, many movies have used it, but his was the first. So the statue is kind of a tribute to Hollywood in general and the relationship it has with the observatory.
So, hm, what to award you as the prize winner. I'll think of something good.

Erin Blake said...

Ok I'll give that to Brady too since I can tell he didn't read Melinda's comment.
Listen, I've decided. The next time either of you comes to visit, I will pay for a ride on the famed Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel. I will pay for both you and your spouse and then I'll take a picture of you. All for free.

The Arky Blakes said...

Perfect -- can we go by the root beer place as well and then go up to Griffith's Observatory?

Erin Blake said...

Brady, we'll start the day off with a big breakfast and your kids swimming with my kids. Then we'll grab In n Out and rootbeers at Galcos and eat them on the way to the observatory, then to the pier and the ferris wheel. ALL IN ONE DAY.

Northridge Stake said...

Hey we want to come too! Lets plan the date - Arky Blakes when can you go? (And then lets watch Rebel without a cause outside in the back yard - just cause you can do that all year round in California) - Braden and Darcy

Erin Blake said...

Darcy- we can do that with you in about 1 month! wohoo! Brady, seriously, set a date.

JuneyB said...

your blog makes my life good.
i saw spencer today and it made me miss you guys... really bad.

Erin Blake said...

at Mark's farewell? Yeah, today is a miss Bountiful day around here.

California Blakes said...

Uhhh Erin, Brady and Darcy ... did you guys forget about the OC Blakes? I didn't read any plans for visiting little Bryan and Davis. We need to do a double date night to that observatory place, I still haven't been there since living in California.

Erin Blake said...

Only if we can both sit on the ledge and kiss our husbands and not care that it's PDA. And Jules, you have the beach, Disneyland and Balboa. Enough said. Everyone will come visit you. I have to be creative and then PERSUADE people into coming by buying them ferris wheel rides.