Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fish are friends not food


It is Wednesday evening and my 6 friends have gone. They pulled out of the driveway a few hours ago. I was so grateful to have them come for the last 3 days. The days went by so fast. They have been such good friends to me. I was grateful to Brett for taking a day off of work so I could spend one full day with them with no kid obligations. That was really nice. He worked so hard to get ready for them...lighting the pool area with magical white lights, buying two good blow- up mattresses and having them ready when we got back from day 1 activities, and making his waffles while we were walking around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. He's a good one. The kids got some good dad time the last few days too.

I have been thinking about friends. (Sisters and moms definitely fit in all of what I'm about to write but are kind of in their own special category.) Friends are so important to us as women. Friends shouldn't be a substitute for a good communicative relationship with your husband, but can give the advice, companionship, talking time that we women need and one husband can't handle alone. Ya'll know what I'm talking about. My husband is grateful for my friends, because I am happier. He likes it when I am happy. Women friends become more important as our kids grow I believe, and then as kids leave. Good friends are great for help with big events--weddings, mission farewells-- at time of sorrow and need--funerals, sickness-- and finally to create an emotional outlet so we aren't as stressed out over life! "____'s been through this too." " I know ____ knows what to do about this." "_____, can you come over and help me for a minute?"

A good friend has your back. You know you are safe with them. You don't have to pretend you are something you aren't and know they will be genuinely happy for you if things go well for you. They want the best for you and you for them.

Day 2:

Early Morning Walk: We did that 3.5 mile walk around the Rose Bowl which is really nice.

Santa Monica: Shopping and good lunch. I think every one of us ordered French Onion Soup with toasted baguettes. Ha. (This pic looks a little weird, but work with me.)

Fashion District (Santee Alley): Downtown L.A. Perfect thing to do with girlfriends or daughters, but I don't feel the need to go back soon if you know what I mean. Crazy, cheap, a little scary. Block after block of wholesale stores for buyers, which we couldn't buy from. Then a section for the masses like us. Flea marketish, which isn't usually my cup of tea, but fun with girlfriends.

Philippe's: I took them to the French Dip sandwich place. It was crowded. It always is. Lots of pre-game Dodgers Fans.
Olvera Street: Grabbed some taquitos in the oldest part of L.A. next to Union Station, strummed a Mexican guitar, and were off before you could say, "Let's have a taquito, strum a Mexican guitar, and get out of here."

Leap of Faith: This is a new show, in previews before trying to go to Broadway. The music was written by Alan Menken who wrote the music for The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. It starred Brooke Shields, who was actually the weakest member of the cast. It was too long, and the story line was too predictable, but it was still a fun artsy outing and the GOSPEL CHOIR ROCKED THE HOUSE. I seriously dreamt*(both dreamt and dreamed are correct. I prefer dreamt) about the gospel choir all night. I woke up still thinking about how good the gospel choir was. Did I mention the gospel choir?

The verdict...
Day 3:

It rained today. We did so much yesterday that we all wanted to relax and talk. We sat around wrapped in blankets and talked about Melinda's psychology stuff: love languages, energy profiling, and men vs. women relationship help stuff. I like these talks a lot. No men bashing ever. I usually walk away wanting to be a better wife, and understanding myself a little better.

Lunch: Lunch at Panera and a little more shopping. Many nutcrackers were bought by nutcracker collectors. Should I be a nutcracker collector? Kate chillin with the ladies.
I cried when they left, but I am happy and grateful for the last 3 great days. I am grateful for my warm home here in California and for my family I share it with. I have both of my sisters and their families, Brett's sister's family and my mom coming this month! It will be a month full of house guests. It will be good. I am getting lots of good quality time with people instead of a lunch here, an event there. We get visitors all to ourselves. It helps my girls know they can have the best of both worlds when people come. They aren't so far away from home while still experiencing all of these new great people and things.

I've been after Kimi for years to get those fixed...and to stop taking pictures of herself up close.
A special shout out to other friends who didn't/couldn't come. The same sentiments go for you!

3 comments:

Melwel said...

I concur. I love to write that. I concur. You just say it all so well, that I have nothing more to add. Maybe just an Amen....Amen.

Laur said...

Kate in that last photo. Ha.

This was so nice to read, I know you had a great time, and I'm so happy to hear it. I love you

Misty said...

I like all your cute friends. And I can't wait to come stay. Tell Brett to get the waffles ready...