Wednesday, September 8, 2010

GALCO'S. A ghetto heaven.

Here is the great place we went to after school yesterday.

In the middle of tiny-bit-rundown L.A.ish area, or maybe it was Glendale, there is a hole-in-the -wall grocery store place called GALCO'S. They have every single kind of soda made in glass bottles. No aluminum cans for GALCO'S. They seriously had this many ROOTBEERS!!! I had to get one of every single kind.

This one below had cinnamon, ginger and vanilla in it. It was different.
One had molasses in it. This one has been my favorite so far...
However, it could totally be knocked out of the running by Capt'n Eli's

or Frostie
I also got a Huckleberry soda from Jackson Hole and Mandarin Orange Jigger, because really, who doesn't want one of those if they knew they existed. Back to the store...

As 50s music blares overhead, you turn a corner and see an entire section of old-fashioned candy. Faster than you can say, "Hey look at all of this old fashioned candy!!," you start grabbing stuff and smiling like this."
The best part was seeing pictures like THIS.
(Jane will like that photo because she's pretty nostalgic for the 50s.)

Fruit Stripe gum! Candy cigarettes! Candy Buttons!
Sydney said, "Mom, I feel like we're in the movie The Sandlot." That was the perfect way to explain it. So sweet.

Why does Brett need to look at me like I'm crazy when he gets home? Am I crazy? Wouldn't YOU be grateful if your spouse bought 20 different rootbeers you had never tried? I definitely would. I'd be so grateful. I'd probably give them a back scratch for a good ten minutes.

8 comments:

Melwel said...

Yep....you are crazy. That's why we all love and want to be you!

The Arky Blakes said...

Hey, there's only room for one collector of root beer in this family and seeing as I have a 96 bottle root beer head start, I think you ought to just back off sister! j/k I'm actually glad there's another imbiber of the root beer arts in the family. I have a 40 point scale for rating root beers where I give points for taste, after taste, drinkability, uniqueness and so forth (I know, I'm beginning to sound like a crazy person now.) Here is where I rank the root beers in your picture that I have tasted.
Jackson Hole Soda Co. Buckin' Root Beer = 39 (one of my absolute favorites!)
Hanks = 38 (my third favorite root beer so far)
Thomas Kemper = 34 (a good, classic root beer)
Captn Eli's = 34 (I liked it and thought it had a great after taste)
Gale's = 29 (I gave it points for uniqueness but it seemed like it was trying too hard)
Dogs and Suds = 28 (average root beer, smooth but nothing unique)
Frostie = 13 (this is where we differ -- I think Frostie is THE most uninspired root beer on the market and has zero flavor)
There are a few root beers on your table that I actually don't have -- another good reason to come visit you guys! Enjoy a frosty brew and think of me when you do!

Erin Blake said...

Best comment Brady! No, listen...I haven't tried Frostie yet. I was just saying that because it looked like it COULD be good with that cute frostie santa guy and all.. Thank you for the tasting matrix. wohoo!

Unknown said...

Remember that trip to St Geo when we found that little shop that carried the same kind of junk? candies and rootbeer and you bought lots of treats? Glad you found this store. Seeing you happy makes me smile! Or maybe you are just intoxicated on rootBEER.

Melanie said...

See what we are all missing by still living here in B-town!

JuneyB said...

you're right. I do like that photo. you know me too well, randommusings.

can I come back?

Erin Blake said...

I like how when I call, you say, "hi randommusings." Yes you can come back. How about this week?

JuneyB said...

I'M THERE, YO.