I can hear the rain coming down, the house a bit chilled. My warm, long-sleeved T shirt feels good on my arms and the yoga pants somehow still fit as I sit indian style on the chair. TonyBurgers was good last night and was fun to be with my family. The shakes and fries looked really good as I ate my salad and drank my water. Good to be with family earlier at my niece's baptism. I love that crazy girl with her infectious giggle and big heart.
A call from my friend tells me that after two days of panic on my part, her son, who I was exposed to, does NOT have the swine flu after all, but has strep. The symptoms are the same; fever, sore throat, weak. The doc has seen cases of Swine Flu this week and treated him likewise. That is a relief. My kids all think we're missing church today, and I get to tell them the good news that now we won't have to. I think it's good news...I'm sure each of them will be equally happy. Maybe?
I am transcribing a song to teach to the Young Women today. I was given the song on a CD which is a'cappella and three-part harmony. I have to figure out each part, and write them down on staff paper to teach from. I am then going to hook my computer up to the piano which has midi capability and play each of the 3 parts on different tracks so the girls can listen to it without the voices which the cd has. The hard part( I should say extremely hard part) has been to write the actual note vales out on paper. As I said, the song is really syncopated, so I am having to guess at the note value. I am finding myself closing my eyes and counting 1 and 2 and (tie) ee and a 4. Rewind. Is that it? or is it 1 and 2 3 ee and a 4? Erase, scribble. It feels like I'm taking a theory exam. At least it's free and I'm not having to drive to a university to get to stretch my brain like this. Hopefully new nerve tracks are shooting out in all directions in my head.
First week of summer. Condo in Park City with gondola rides, Alpine Slide, swimming, tennis, slurpees at 7-11. A tradition we all look forward to each summer. Overnight hike and camping for Maddie. Cheer practice for Ali. Aerating lawns for Spencer. Gymnastics performance for Syd. Setting up our summer chores and rules for me. Selling a company, finding a new gig, church meetings for Brett. Also for me, a 3-hour glucose test to really get an accurate read on my glucose levels heading into the last 6 weeks.. I get to stay in the office for 3 hours without food in the a.m. getting finger pricked hourly. I had better find a good book or a comfy chair so I can sleep. 3 hours is a long time.
Will this summer fly by? Last summer before Spence graduates. Last summer before Maddie is in high school, dating, driving. Last summer with four older kids. Last summer with Brett's current job the way it is. Where will we be next summer? What will life be like? For now, I am just happy to know my flowers and grass are getting water, my kids are in their beds, Rudy's curled up next to me, and Baby Kate is kicking and moving, keeping me company.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I had that 3-hour glucose test when I was pregnant with Jacob. I loved it! Seriously - all by myself with a book and magazines for 3 hours? That was worth the finger pricking! I had little kids at home, though - might not be as much of a novelty for you :)
I am so glad I could add to your peaceful Sunday morning!
Post a Comment