Friday, January 7, 2011

Just a Cool Little Story


 I sometimes post about the funny things Brett says to me that sometimes may be a TAD insensitive. Like maybe the non-supermodel comment or the call from Bountiful describing his Nielson's concrete while I was here in the rain..

Well, here's a Brett story that redeems all of those. And more. I  have been a bit sick over the break. The cough is still continuing though getting slightly better. The other day, I had decided to make lasagne. It was the last day Spencer and friends were here, so I knew we should probably have a good dinner. Problem was, I was just so sick and tired and wanted to be in bed. Well, I got the meat out and set it in the pan, ready to begin cooking. I got everything out-the cheese, the diced tomatoes, the noodles. I went in my room first to help Sydney read a book report book and accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up, I knew that dinner would now be so late. Shoot. Brett came in and said, "Erin, can you please come make dinner?" I sleepily said, "Sure. Yeah. Sorry. Be right there." I was too tired to realize that first of all, Brett never does that. He never says -When is dinner? or Will you make dinner already? If it isn't made, he figures there might be a reason and just says, Hey do you want me to make something? Or, Should I go pick something up? 

Anyway, I was kind of grumbling as I walked into the kitchen thinking it wasn't fair that everyone's dinner happiness depended on me. I walked in and the meat was no longer in the pan. Good, I thought. I worried about it being left out during my whole sleep. I opened the fridge, but it wasn't there either. "Hey, where's the meat?" I asked. Brett said, "What?" I said, "The meat that was in the pan. Did someone throw it away? I hope not." He said, "Oh you mean the meat in the OVEN?" Grin, grin...I opened the oven, and he had made the lasagne! It was cooking happily away. I couldn't believe it. That was better than any Christmas present I could have gotten. I was so happy. I told him, that was one of those gifts to me that will give back to him a hundredfold. Wives don't forget things like that. It will be told for generations.. the time great grandpa made the lasagne while great grandma slept. So, here's to thoughtful husbands!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT WARMS THE COCKLES OF MY HEART. LOVE YOU BLAKES AND ESP. BRETT THIS VERY MINUTE! MOME

Erin Blake said...

Do I say a hundredfold or an hundredfold? or hundred fold as two words? Ok now it's all looking weird to me..

Anonymous said...

What should look weird to you is the very word "weird". Is that the right spelling or is it wierd - "I before E except after C".

Unknown said...

the whole gran and gramps thing- very funny.
Ok, so you can stay married, and we will forget the Nielsens thing ever happened...Good Job, Brett.

Brooke Shoko said...

that was sweet of him. i enjoyed this post.

Becky said...

miss you.

Misty said...

He's a good guy, e. Seriously.

PG Blake's said...

Brett? Really?? Are you sure he didn't secretely give the meat to Rudy and pop in one of those Costco lasagne? I'm not convinced.

Anonymous said...

Erin you don't know the pressure posts like this puts on the rest of the guys in the family. Brett was the SBP. Brett went to Harvard. Brett is in such good shape he's going to be on a new P90XXX movie. Brett feeds the hungry and brought peace to the middle east. Brett doesn't swim in our pool, he walks on it. Blah blah blah. If Brett wasn't one of my best friends I would seriously hate that guy. :)

Kimi said...

That Brett. Aside from the occasional heartless comment, he can really knock it out of the park! And he does many more good deeds than rude utterances, I'd say.

I love the way you wrote the story--hilair.

Mike--you are also hilair.

Erin Blake said...

Ha ha Mike. Look, had to record it for posterity! Maybe I'll do one about you too. About your gift giving, rock star abilities, compliment giving self..ok?

Unknown said...

I almost spit out my cereal laughing after I read Mike's response.

Kimi said...

Oh, and you should totally go with "an hundredfold" if you can get away with it, right? Way more fun!

Brock said...

I'm with Mike on this one. :)