Sunday, February 14, 2010

Most Awesome Valentines Day Ever

Disclaimer: Today's post is NOT a Keepin it Real segment. This one is a "THIS IS SO NOT KEEPIN IT REAL!!!" segment.

Yesterday was the day before Valentines. Brett flew in from Cali and took the kids skiing. I, of course, have a little babes and couldn't go. I had planned to go up to Park City anyway and get Brett's Valentines present there. He needed new clothes since he has lost a bunch of weight and has none that fit him. This was going to be my day's job. However, our contractor friend, Trent, only had yesterday to come over and fix a bunch of stuff at our house. He would come upstairs and say, "Ok. That job's done. Now what do you want me to do?" It was super sweet to have someone like Trent at my disposal all day long. That, combined with my frantic attempts at preparing to play for a wedding last night took up my whole day. Oh yeah, and I have a baby. So--those 3 things prevented me from even leaving the house once to get Brett my super-incredible-I'm-sure Valentines Day gifts.

I was pretty bummed out by about 10:30 (after my gig) that I wasn't going to have anything for him to open. (In my defense, every single day this week was filled with simply cleaning and showing this house. ) I called him and said, "I'm done playing. I'm heading to the store to get the stuff for the big breakfast in the morning, ok?" I was secretly hoping that Smith's would still be open and I could grab him something, even though lame. He said, "No, don't go to the store. I already got everything! Just come home! Seriously."
"But, but, did you get little candies for the kids' plates and a little family gift?"
"Yes. I have it taken care of! I'm doing it this year. Just come home."
"But, but I need to get something for you, because I didn't go to Park City and I don't want to be all lame!"
"Erin, I don't care. I promise. You are selling this house for me. I'm FINE. We'll go together tomorrow."

When I drove up to the house I saw this:





When I walked in the back door, I saw this:





And this:


THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT TOO!!!

This morning, he woke me up at 6:30a.m. and said, "Erin, will you get the kids up? I have breakfast ready." I rubbed my eyes...Huh? At 6:30? You made breakfast? The kids are going to kill me if I go down there and try to get them up, but really you made breakfast? It smells so good.

Apparently, he had given them all a heads up last night that he wanted to have breakfast together before he left at 7a.m. for his bishopric meeting at the church. They all woke up tiredly, but happily and we filed in the kitchen. Since I saw the table last night, there was now an envelope on each plate. Each said, "I love you! Dad" Brett insisted I open mine first. It was all mushy. I think him being away from us every week is making him mushy. Anyway, at the bottom it said, "My Valentines gift to you is WE ARE TAKING THE WHOLE FAMILY TO HAWAII IN 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHMMMMMYYYYYYYYGGGGGGGOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAARRRRRREEEEEEEEYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUKKKKKIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGMMMMEEEEE??????!!!!!!!!

In each envelope was a ticket to Hawaii. Everyone was in shock. I knew he had a work trip there the 2nd week of March and that I could go with him, but I would have to take the baby (which I was planning on doing.) As excited as I was, I knew it would be tricky to do any of the activities with a 7-month old and wondered if it was worth it for his company to have me come. But NOW I have 4 babysitters, nannies if you will, at my command, coming to play with Kate whenever I need them to! It will be paradise. I can't believe I'm going to have all of my kids, my son who is soon to leave the nest, all with me under the bright Hawaiian sun.

This is what Brett got for his efforts before he left for his meeting. I will never forget this morning.

13 comments:

Brooke Shoko said...

this is SO sweet. go brett!!

corrine said...

okay usually stuff like this makes me want to gag but that was so cute i literally got tears in my eyes. i'm grateful for good examples of good marriages like yours and my parents!

Rachelle said...

aw! so cute!!!

Amy and Brad said...

AWESOME!

Erin Blake said...

Corrine- I know it's sort of gaggy, but how do I not write it either? If I ever get to go on another trip, I am NOT posting about it. I also thought, hey-we've had an up and down year and so people will give me that and be happy for us!

Melwel said...

two words....Luc key

Misty said...

That Brett.... :)

Kimi said...

Now you just stop that right now! That is so amazing! I'm so happy for you!!!

You ALL deserve a trip to Hawaii for so many reasons! For having a hard year, for having Brett gone so much, for being in limbo about when you're moving, for being faced with the possibility of having to leave Spency during his senior year, for being so awesome that you shouldn't even need a reason, for the hardest thing of all...having to leave ME here without you. For those and many other reasons, you SO deserve it!
Brett, you are seriously the bomb. Not dot net, not dot org, not dot edu, but DOT COM!

Verification word: flobble
Love it! Brett did NOT flobble this Valentines Day.

Unknown said...

SWEET! So happy for you. And the fandamily!

Brock said...

Ummm... Brett, you're in big trouble! Could you please not do stuff like this -- you're making the rest of us men look bad!

And Erin... if he ever does stuff like this can you please refrain from posting them somewhere where other wifes can read it!?! Seriously, you're killing me!

(Nice work... that's pretty cool. Have fun!)

Erin Blake said...

Brock, he just do it like that.

OK. Brett is now banished from future posts.

Melanie said...

Fantastic! I am so happy for you guys, jealous, but happy!

JuneyB said...

why was i not invited to go to hawaii with you? you forgot about jane, stuck here in bountiful while you move to california. oh wait. pause. WE ARE GOING TO HAWAII TOO!

thats ok. i hate the beach anyway. and sun, I am allergic to the sun.