Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Note to Media: WOMEN ARE DEEP INTELLIGENT BEINGS

Why do so many commercials make women seem so shallow and, well, stupid? Case #1: Tai Pan Decorating store. This particular commercial is interviewing women in their store, apparently losing their mind over the fact that they just got a plant or a ceramic dish for only $2.49!!! They look like they just won the lottery and gush on and on about how they CAN'T BELIEVE that there is such a place as Tai Pan which fulfills all of their dreams! Case#2. There is a commercial out for Kohl's department store which has women gossiping to each other that "she must have gotten it at Kohl's." There is no WAY that woman/coworker/friend could POSSIBLY look THAT CUTE for THAT CHEAP! They find out that every Friday night from 4-10 or something like that is a special sale and they WILL NEVER MISS IT AGAIN!!!!!!!! They NEED to look that adorable as well! Yippee oh!

In fact, most commercials make women seem shallow in my view. "How can I get the thickest lashes to woo my man? These thin ones just consume all my worry, because all I really am is my lashes.." or talking to the friend on the phone about the awesome yogurt flavors in her fridge...on and on about the various flavors...

I don't know any women like that. The women I know are raising families, running races, reading scriptures and praying to incorporate what they learn into actions, working part or full time, volunteering in schools, etc. They have to do and think about heavy things, important eternal things. They might buy a banana cream pie yogurt, or go to Tai Pan to buy a ceramic pitcher or plant and they might even go to Kohl's on an ocassional Friday night if hubby is out of town, but not with the frantic palpitating heart from excitement over getting a new blush color.
Give us some credit. Women, you rock and remember who you are. Don't let the media tell you.

Off to Ross, because I hear they have the greatest deals ever!!!! I just NEED a pair of new shoes to match my blush!!!!!

1 comment:

Melwel said...

HEAR, HEAR!
I'LL JOIN YOU ON YOUR SOAP BOX