Thursday, May 28, 2009

LIFE

Maddie technically graduated from jr. high last night.





I was so proud of her. She really is becoming her own person. She knows what she likes and then works really hard. She looked beautiful. She has great grades, which makes me happy. Good grades open doors. I really believe that. Who knows what the doors will be to, but a bunch of them will be open.
She has had an art teacher this year really inspire her. I've always told her that art is her thing, that she has a gift, etc. but I think hearing it from someone who is an artist has finally validated that feeling in herself. I really appreciate good teachers. There are some great teachers out there who have connected with my kids and their interests; Spencer's AP Am. History teacher, one of Ali's dance teachers, Sydney's first grade teacher, etc. There are certain teachers who inspire kids to do better, to want to learn. I'm so grateful for them.Maddie with her art teacher

The high school choir concert is tonight; my favorite thing to go to as a parent. Our whole community seems to be there. I love seeing and talking to friends there. I love picking out the kids I know. I love listening to the music. I love that Spence isn't a senior, but just a junior. Please stop time. I love seeing him when he walks in for lunch unexpectedly, like he did today. One more window to ask how his day is going and laugh.Spencer with good friend Jackie after the choir concert

I saw a woman at the Jr. high yesterday who is one of those amazing women who just seem to have a lot of power and wisdom and spunk surround them. When you talk to them, you feel good, and you feel inspired. Well, I haven't seen her in a while and she asked me about Baby Kate. She had a son many years after her others. He is 12 now and all of her other kids are grown. She tearfully told me that my family thinks they are ready, but that my kids are not prepared for the 'intense love affair' they will have with this baby. The emotions they will feel will surprise them. She said having a late baby was the biggest gift/miracle that could have happened to their family. She said her high schoolers would miss lunch with friends to sneak home just to hold him for a few minutes. Now, he is the cool young uncle who her grand kids can't wait to see and look up to. I always leave from seeing her inspired in some way, wanting to be that kind of woman/wife/mother. 'How can I be more like that?' It makes me want to go to the temple more often, put people first instead of errands or selfish stuff. Finally, she makes me see the power of a really good, a really wise, a really fun, and a really righteous mother. The mother will shape generations. The mother will create traditions which will bind her family. The mother can teach her children to look up to their father by how she treats him. The mother can bless lives by being there, teaching, loving. The mother can create a reverence for God. I especially believe that the attitude the mother has about life is passed to her kids. Is it one of optimism? Thank you to this woman for being a light.

I also had a friend stop by yesterday and bring me a random pregnancy gift, because this in-tune friend thought I needed a little pick-me-up. She often does what I described above: focuses on people more than stuff. I realize that my need for my friends grows deeper as I get older. My mom also did something similar last weekend for both Maddie and for me. I am grateful for people who love me and can see when I'm struggling a touch. I'm grateful for Brett who found me water last night at the graduation when I knew I would pass out any minute. He found where they were stashing the treats for afterwards and then led me there, to sup on that glorious cold crystal pure water shooting out of the orange McDonald's round cooler. Super nice.

I'm going to clean the house while listening to the new Fastball CD which came out a few months ago. Love it so far, especially "All I Was Looking for Was You", "She's Got the Rain" and "Angelie" which makes me want to Tango. Well not right now. AWKWARD!-- sung, operatically, with the pitch 'awk' a litle higher than the pitch of 'ward!'

2 comments:

Melwel said...

love you
Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Amazing. I JUST read your blog entry for Thurs. I wrote almost the same things about teachers today. I love the choir concerts too. Love our little community. love you.