Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's A Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood

I think we might be headed to the doctor today. In Newport Beach. That's something I think is always fun- going to a doc or hospital away from home. Ali came home last week from cheer clinics with a rash on her leg. Just one leg. It was weird-I'd never seen something like that before. Hm. I thought. Wait and see. Well, last night, she said it was starting to hurt and showed me again and this rash is now super red, big bumps, hurts to the touch, etc. I'm thinking the SuperBug: some staph infection that will take over her, and next, the world. Unfortunately, and rightly so, no one here at the beach house wants that leg anywhere near them, on a couch, or in the hot tub on the roof. How can I tell her not to go in the super cool hot tub on the roof?
So, probably off to the doc we shall go.

I am also 'enjoying' all of the itty bitty bikini bodies biking past our beach house as California schools are on spring break. Who gets a body like that? Who appreciates bodies like that when they have them? I bet those girls can name 5 things wrong with themselves. Why do women do that to themselves? They probably have some little birthmark somewhere, or get zits now and again, or one foot is smaller than the other. Maybe they have thinner hair than they wish. Something.

Let's see. I like being short. I've always liked looking up at people rather than down at them. What else? I'm glad I am a brunette. There are varying ranges of brunette I can be at any given time. Right now, I'm a slightly blonder brunette. I like that I have little hands that can play the piano really fast. I guess I like my eyes. That might be the only feature on my face that I can say I really like, so I'll focus on those. Hm. This is hard. I guess I like that whether I am at my thinnest or a little chunkier, I usually have a flat stomach. I've never really had belly trauma. That's nice. Finally I am grateful for my arms that aren't tone at all, but can hug things really well. That's pretty much the best. I guess I've never felt really pretty, but good enough to be happy with myself.

OK. That was an exercise in acceptance. That almost hurt having to think of physical things about myself that I like. Not used to that so much. I think I'll go out there and tell the next college-aged bikini girl that she had better be happy and appreciate that body that God has given her at this stage of her life. Then I should probably tell her to keep herself virtuous. Respect herself and be clean. People usually love that advice in this day and age:)

p.s. Ali made cheer. yeah!



Maddie made the musical. Yeah!


Spencer didn't make SBO. You can't see it well, but he's trying to make the most pathetically sad face ever.

Good news. I DID make the most tired pregnant woman. I KNEW I would!!! I guess I'm just lucky that way. LOVE YOURSELVES.

pps. A special shout out to all of the silent blog readers out there (Jane). I told you I'd give you a shout out. :)

4 comments:

Misty said...

I love my thunder thighs. I love my belly issues. I love my double chin. I just love me. :) But I also love the fact that I can and do exercise and that I'm feeling stronger and healthier than I have in a long time. Good post, Ernie.

Anonymous said...

Let us know what Ali has. Sounds like Kelly's weird bumps recently. Fun talking about the young bodies. You're right. It's never going to get better than it is right now - except preggies yo. MOM - missing you kids in California

Anonymous said...

Tell Ali that we hope she feels better. It's no fun to be sick on vacation.

Rudy is being a great dog...although I think he getting quite a workout around our house. The kids argue over who gets to take him for a walk every day. Although he looks happy, I think that deep down he misses you guys. I turned on BYU sports on the TV for him to watch so that he would feel at home.

Unknown said...

Mike is generous. Turning on BYU sports. ha. Congrats to Ali and Maddie! Poor Spence. I thought he is a winner in my book. :) cheesy, I know.