Friday, March 25, 2011

I heard a couple fighting today. Well, they didn't think they were fighting. I'm sure they thought they were "talking." I hate it when couples argue. 2nd to hearing a mother yell at a little child. That is downright painful for me to hear a mother say, "Tommy! Get OVER here! Right now. I'm not going to tell you again! Just wait until we get home!" Oh man, that almost does me in as I see that bad boy Tommy is 3 years old with big brown eyes quietly taking the verbal lashing. Really, it's the TONE. A mother could say the above with kindness and you know when they get home, Tommy's going to sit in a quiet chair for 3 minutes. It's when the TONE conveys that Tommy might get yelled at a lot. One time, my brother heard a mother yelling at her son for taking 2 pieces of bacon on a camping trip instead of one. The little guy didn't know it was wrong to do that first of all. Secondly, the mother followed the verbal outpouring with "You are so selfish!" Ouch.

So, this couple was at CVS pharmacy. The wife was getting her blood pressure taken. The husband was standing behind her. She was overweight, he a little scrawny thing. It came back 152 over 86. He yells, "That's high! That's high!" She barked back, "John, it is not! Get away from here and stop watching me! I don't do that to you!" He says as he walks away, "That's not good! I told you it would be high." "I'm doing it again!  The first one's never right, So just leave me alone." They went on and on about this and that never agreeing on anything.

Anyway, blah blah blah, but I silently listen and wonder if they are in complete misery living with one another. The TONE in their voices conveyed disgust, impatience, and I knew that if they talk like that to each other over a free blood pressure read, I can only imagine what their daily conversations are like when chatting about bills, sickness, etc.

One of my love languages is words of affirmation. I am extremely sensitive to words. Positive words keep me happy and floating for weeks and words of criticism bite more than they would probably to most people. My love language is not gifts. I mess up gifts ALL OF THE TIME! I'm so pathetic at gift giving. I don't know if I've ever given a really great gift. Other than maybe the gift of life. Or the gift of just being super awesome to live with :) Gifts frustrate me.

But words...I always admire couples who speak kindly to each other, who say thank you and can I get this for you and such. Today's "conversation" made me decide again that that will NOT be us at 50 or 60
or 70 or even 80. I've decided that it takes work to be kind. Not just to stay together, but to enjoy each other and treat each other well. Work and worth it.



How cute is this couple? I bet they don't argue very much. I also think his hand is huge. And I think he lost his pointer finger in the war, but that's beside the point.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

THinking a few things:
1. When I was like 16 or 17 I was out and heard a mother completely loosing it at her kids. It actually terrified me, I felt so bad for them. I got home and told Melinda about it and she asked why I didn't go over to her and tell her she needed to calm down or else I would be notifying some authorities. (It really was THAT bad, she was out of control) It made me think that is for sure. I definitely NEVER want to parent like that. Also that experience, and I'm thinking maybe my teaching job--has made it so if I ever see someone that bad I have no problem letting them know I will be sitting with their children until DCFS arrives OR they can choose to calm down, and if they need a five minute break I can gladly sit with their kids and wait for them to calm down.

2.THe PERFECT gift from Erin would be to let me visit her and see her house and hear her play the piano and go to the beach.

3. The couple at the end is so sweet, I love cute old people.

Anonymous said...

Oh also its funny that they were arguing about her blood pressure--talk about a way to make it go even higher

Misty said...

His hand is giant -- elephantitis is what that is. Love the post, tho.

Laur said...

hahahaha. lost his finger in the war! hahaha

And you CAN be a great gift giver. One of my most memorable gifts in my lifetime: a blanket/quilt from Erin Blake & girls. Goood work!

Erin Blake said...

ha ha Landon. Yeah...that he's yelling at her WHILE she's trying to take her blood pressure is funny. Landon, you have a drivers license. And a job. Get down here! Lauren, I did do that, you're right! That WAS a good gift! Sweet!!!

Andrew and Gina said...

yes! i feel the same way. right now the couple in the apartment next to us are having problems. they're our age. they have a 2 year old boy and are 2 months away from having a girl. they're in our ward- nice couple. but at least 4 of the last 7 nights they have been YELLING at each other. and the little boy cries all day long and she yells at him too. we can only hear them if we go in our kitchen but still it is so sad to think they are so miserable over there.

Erin Blake said...

oh my gosh Gina. I would HATE hearing that. BTW, your baby is so beautiful. Really really beautiful. I need to hold a baby like that right now!!!

Andrew and Gina said...

thank you! she is cute, huh. even at 4 am she is still cute :)

she'll be at wally's wedding!!

Sarah said...

I love this and I love old people.

C.LEE said...

Thanks for the reminder. I struggle a lot with being patient and I need to make sure I am always saying things with love. Thanks!