
It is Wednesday at noon.
Voices carry through the big rental house.
I'm under my covers..just for a moment reading from my favorite poet Billy Collins.
We got the big master bedroom (sweeeeet) because we have a baby and it is the most soundproof and isolated.
Kate is breathing heavily and sucking on her binkie close by. This brings me back to Billy Collins. Man, I love reading his poetry.
I'm on lunch duty in about 15 more minutes. Just enough time to read this....
THE INTRODUCTION
I don't think this next poem
needs any introduction-
it's best to let the work speak for itself.
Maybe I should just mention
that whenever I use the word five,
I'm referring to that group of Russian composers
who came to be known as "The Five,"
Balakirev, Moussorgsky, Borodin-that crowd.
Oh-and Hypsicles was a Greek astronomer.
He did something with the circle.
That's about it, but for the record,
"Grimke" is Angelina Emily Grimke, the abolitionist.
"Imroz" is that little island near the Dardanelles.
"Monad"- well, you all know what a monad is.
There could be a little problem
with mastaba, which is one of those Egyptian
above-ground sepulchres, sort of brick and limestone.
And you're all familiar with helminthology?
It's the science of worms.
Oh, and you will recall that Phoebe Mozee
is the real name of Annie Oakley.
Other than that, everything should be obvious.
Wagga Wagga is in New South Wales.
Rhyolite is that soft volcanic rock.
What else?
Yes, meranti is a type of timber, in tropical Asia I think,
and Rahway is just Rahway, New Jersey.
The rest of the poem should be clear.
I'll just read it and let it speak for itself
It's about the time I went picking wild strawberries.
It's called "Picking Wild Strawberries."
Oh Billy, you're so clever. I'll read one more before I head in for lunch. Cold cuts, fruit and chips. Oh, and I bought some little ice cream bars. Those are always a hit.
I wonder who he is writing about in this next poem.
ON NOT FINDING YOU AT HOME
Usually you appear at the front door
when you hear my steps on the gravel,
but today the door was closed,
not a wisp of pale smoke from the chimney.
I peered into a window
but there was nothing but a table with a comb,
some yellow flowers in a glass of water
and dark shadows in the corner of the room.
I stood for a while under the big tree
and listened to the wind and the birds,
your wind and your birds,
your dark green woods beyond the clearing.
This is not what it is like to be you,
I realized as a few of your magnificent clouds
flew over the rooftop.
It is just me thinking about being you.
And before I headed back down the hill,
I walked in a circle around your house,
making an invisible line
which you would have to cross before dark.
Well, time to put him away. Must exit this secluded, warm room. Must feed the little ones. Thank you Billy.


6 comments:
My mom just emailed me and said she is worried about me that I like this poetry. I'm not going to tell her that the fact she doesn't like him makes me worried about HER. I better not let her read one of his best, The Lanyard,which is about how great moms are.....
PLEASE let me read The Lanyard. Maybe I will be converted. notorious MOM
BTW, I thought the introduction was his poem and that was why I was dismayed.
Mom- "The Introduction" IS his poem. He is being funny by letting the reader in on some stuff that might help them read his poem, which in the end turns out to only be about picking wild strawberries. Why in the world would we need to know any of that obscure stuff to read a poem about strawberries? I think it's way funny.
Ok. You'll love The Lanyard.
Oh wow, Mom. Billy Collins has been my favorite poet for about 10 years now. I also think The Introduction and The Lanyard are his best work. In fact, I read you the Lanyard all those years ago (you obviously don't remember) because I thought you'd appreciate it more than anyone, being a mother and all. I'll have to check out a Billy Collins poetry book for you, Mom, as I can't find my own copy and let you see how incredibly talented this man really is and why your two oldest kids are absolutely in love with his work.
One other thing: His poem Forgetfullness is one I'm sure you've heard before, Mom. And the video of the poem on You Tube is almost as amazing as the poem. Which is your favorite, Erin?
I thought the introduction was to a book of many poems that you got one or two from to share. This is "out of the box" for me. Be patient with me. truly notorious MOM
Post a Comment