Friday, November 6, 2009
Man In The Mirror
Michael Jackson- you were so talented. It was a gift to see your film today and watch you rehearse for your final concert. Your dancing was brilliant. Loving to dance myself and yet having no avenue as an adult woman really, to see you move your 50 year-old body so effortlessly and with no awkwardness or apologies was fascinating. Seeing the young dancers so excited to work with you and be your partners in this show but also your biggest fans was fun. For me however, seeing you work with the musicians was even better. When you corrected the keyboard player because he was modulating a chord one beat early showed how you knew every note of the music you wrote. I could see what a perfect ear you had. Watching the 20 year-old guitar player (young girl by the way) was so cool. I loved when you told her to just hold the high note for as long as she wanted, to just savor the moment and play. How in the world did you find her and how did she have so much confidence, talent and swag at such a young age? No fair. There was a chord in one song that just was the Ahhhhhhhh moment for me... the goosebump moment. It was in the bridge of your song about the rainforest which I had never heard before and featured animals and a beautiful little girl on screen . You sang that note with that chord over and over. Beautiful. I loved Thriller. I loved your back up singers, especially the woman. My friend Heidi and I secretly, or not so secretly, want to be back up singers on tour with you or other famous artists in our non-real life....in our non-mom responsible life. We were way jealous of the girl back up singer, and not just her voice but her hair. Mostly Michael, I was surprised to see you- an artist who didn't seem drugged up or weird. I saw someone who was supremely talented, but also very kind to those he worked with, eccentric for sure, but also wanting to share with the world. I left the movie sad--sad for your loss and for what too much fame did to you. I am happy that all of those who worked on the concert were seen in this film. It must have been so awful to know that you were opening in 5 days and then learn that in between yesterday's practice and today's dress rehearsal, Michael Jackson died. Just like that. For those who are "not Michael Jackson fans", go see this movie. It's an opportunity to see how talented people work, whether it's your style of music or not. It's super super cool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I concur!!!
Ok, you are seriously obsessed with music. I agree with the sad feeling in the end. This movie brought the following to me: in awe of the span of his music career, how much he affected music in the world or the music world, and his staying power. Amazing. Thanks to Heidi and Kimi for gushing about the movie so I actually wanted to see it... I'm seeing it again tonight!
Well said, Erin. We've been blasting MJ around here for days. Some parts/songs in that movie I could watch endlessly. The way "The Way You Make Me Feel" started off all slow and cool...I'd love to get my ears on a recording of that. I loved "Earth Song" too and hadn't heard it before. The itunes recording isn't at all as good as the movie version, dang it.
Witnessing his amazing, effortless vocals, incredible dancing, unequaled song writing, musical genius, gifted ability to entertain, and larger-than-life onstage presence was at once euphoric and heartbreaking. (Thank you, Thesaurus, buddy--you've always got my back).
It's unfortunate that I and the rest of the world had forgotten what we had until we lost him.
His personal life could be debated until the cows come home, but as anyone who has seen the movie would have to admit, you can't deny him his rightful title as King of Pop.
Post a Comment