On Thursday, I went to my local YMCA to exercise. I took Ali. We decided to try the "Cardio Funky Dance" class at 7 p.m. This lady below was my teacher.
You can't see this through the computer, but I am heartily laughing right now. So yeah. This was the lead SOLID GOLD DANCER. If you were born before 1974 ish and you are female, and especially if you were a Farley Sister, you will remember this show. Note to mom: Why did you let us watch this? Every picture I google of Solid Gold Dancers remind me that they were very very scantily dressed and I can only imagine what kind of moves they did after my cardio funky dance class. Mom, don't feel guilty. You did the best you could. You were probably in your white uniform helping deliver babies and caring for post partum mommies while your little ones were watching these lovely ladies perform.
Side Note: I was the oldest girl. That meant, when these guys came on, I got to pick which one I was first. Every time. Misty, being the cheery sweetheart that she was would always say ok and then pick hers.. Kelly, probably still with her thumb in her mouth, would waddle over to the TV and point to hers. Or maybe we told her which one she was. Same went for the Pointer Sisters.
Back to the class. Ali and I see this woman, this teacher, who is now about 60 I would think. That beautiful long hair is still beautiful and long only now it's WHITE and in corn rows down the back. She's also in yoga pants and a one shouldered T shirt falling over a purple bra. But wow wow wow did she give us a "cardio funky dance" class! Wohoo! Her hips were moving everywhere! She expected us to be as good as she was! She kept yelling, Pow Pow Pow Pow! and then she'd shimmy her shoulders to the driving Latin/funk beat. I kept looking at Ali and laughing. Ali and Maddie are now my Misty and Kelly if you will. I love having children who are now old enough to experience things with.
I will say that for the first 30 minutes I thought, "Hey...my hips are NOT moving! What happened to me? And why does she look a million times better than any of us and she's in her 60s? How can I get some of what she's got?" By 1/2 hour into it, my body loosened up a bit and started remembering how to move. "Oh yeah" it said. "I kind of remember how to do this. My hips started goin with the beat." Now the only way this was possible was that there were no men anywhere present so I felt safe. Also, every other person in the "cardio funky dance" class were tiny Asian women who decided to wear flamenco-type skirts. They were very very into it. Like weirdly eating up everything she did. Their little hips were not moving one bit. So I felt like a perfect medium of the skinny flamenco-skirted Asian women and busty-groovin 60 corn-rowed teacher.
Ali did great. She's a dancer after all. However, and I was very pleased abou this.. Ali needed some help on the hip action. A little bit stiff on the rotating pelvis. Thank heavens. VERY VERY INTERESTING CLASS INDEED. I will leave you with this last disturbing image...




3 comments:
Aaahhhaaahhhaaa!! Believe it or not, before I even scrolled down to read your post, I saw the picture and said, "Hey - she was on Solid Gold." No joke. Quite the impression that show had on all of us, huh?
Not just the Pointer Sisters but also the Mandrell sisters, thank you very much. Pretty sure I was the oldest of the oldest Mandrell Sisters.
hahahahhahhahahahahha Totally forgot, or maybe it was erased the memory of this show from my mind.
That last picture is beyond disturbing.
Haha--my sister(s) and I did that too! But it was whoever pointed fastest that got to choose first. I wish I'd thought of pulling rank--dang. We loved playing "That's Me!" with the fashion mags, AKA the Avon catalog.
I love that Misty was Barbara Mandrell. We loved that show too!
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane plus some eye garbage that I'll be trying to scrub out of my mind!
Post a Comment