The kids here in L.A. tend to be very independent. They get their license and instead of driving down the hill to Keva Juice on 5th South, they drive into Hollywood or Santa Monica. That's really as far as driving to Provo to hang out. In traffic. With weird people everywhere. Anyway, this summer, the girls have done chores during the day and then gather their various friends and do bunches of other things..many of which are by a beach or in the city.
So, on Sunday, my mom wrote me a semi-frantic email asking me about why in the WORLD my girls would be holding such a big snake and do I need to maybe have a talk with them about safety. I laughed and replied quickly, "Oh mom. Ha ha ha . Whatever picture you saw was a stuffed animal snake or something. Trust me, my girls would not be holding a big snake and also if by some small chance they were, I would know!!! Ha ha." Oh moms..gotta love em. Then on the way to church, Brett says, "Maddie, grandma just called for you and she seems pretty anxious to talk to you." I laughed again. "That's because she thinks you were holding a huge snake Maddie! I don't know, she's really worried that you were! ha ha ha" That's when Maddie tells me that she and Ali paid some guy on the beach money to let them hold the 12 foot huge yellow constrictor for a photo. I couldn't believe it. Since when is something like that NOT interesting enough to tell me? If that isn't, WHAT IS?? And also, WHY WOULD YOU PAY SOME RANDOM STRANGER TO LET YOU HOLD A HUGE YELLOW SNAKE THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!??!!
We had to have a talk about safety and about naivety and about boundaries and about judgment. Because I'm worried.
Also, why do office stores sell big wall calendars that clients with little two-year olds drive 20 minutes to get, because they realize that being organized might take their mind off of being bloated and irritable (according to their new "period tracker!" iphone app) if the calendars start in 2012?! Do you think that NOT detail-oriented people like the aformentioned client with the two-year old look closely enough to realize that it doesn't start until 2012? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we still in AUGUST? You're just going to throw 4 months away? Now I've got the cutest big calendar that I can't use until JANUARY and now Kate's asleep so it's not like I can lug her back there. Plus I already took off the wrapping. So now I just have to feel bloated and irritable? uggg.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hello? You need to include the picture of the giant, creepy yellow snake. Proof of their naivety. :)
I am pretty sure this is my favorite blog post of all time. You are so stinking funny and this is so stinking YOU!
And I agree with Misty about the picture. I thought for sure when I scrolled down I'd get to see it.
Period Tracker??? Are you SERIOUS??? I can't laugh hard enough about that because I'm alone. I wish I wasn't alone right now so I could laugh the appropriate amount.
Post a Comment