Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 7 Eze/Monaco/Italy

Today was crazy! I am 5 minutes from where this happened. The cars here are CRAZY!! This is funny money here I decided. Who are these people? What do they do? Where do they come from? I passed a couple and I knew he was either a professional soccer player? Or a prince? I don't know, it's seriously crazy money here. This article was funny because that is exactly what I'm seeing! Seeing it from a bus with a bunch of tourists, but still..

We decided to go to Italy just because. Today was an bonus day. Our guides finished last night :( which basically meant no bike rides or hikes today AND we had to get everywhere we went by ourselves and pay for it ourselves. Double :(. So as much as I wanted to rest on this beautiful hilltop, we decided to go to Monaco and Italy! I'm so glad we did.

We were in Monaco for about an hour and saw the palace. The country is still celebrating Prince Albert's marriage to Charlene of South Africa. It's weird that for all the hoopla about Prince William and Kate Middleton, why was this marriage not really covered? Or was it and I just missed it? Anyway a lady on the train in the know told me that there was lots of gossip about this woman not really wanting to marry him and become princess. Everyone thought she would bolt a few times. He's a playboy. At the wedding apparently, she was stoic, showing no emotion? Don't do it Charlene! Why??? She is beautiful eh though? She's an Olympic swimmer to boot.


I think her hair looks cuter short like this. Love this cut.


Most every woman I saw today in Monaco looked like her. With serious modesty issues but I won't go into detail. 

ok enough of that. I don't ever feel the need to go there again. I guarantee those people are not happier than someone with a good husband/wife and some children and a tramp and probably a dog and a bbq grill with warm hot dogs and a car that gets them from point a to point b.

So, then we took a taxi to Italy! The contrast was evident the second we crossed over. Now to be fair, we went to some random Italian town and not Venice, but still, the people were very very different than the French people. Not as proper, not as thin, not as quiet, not as well dressed. Louder, more relaxed. We got a gelato and a pizza and shopped at a huge flea market for a few hours, then hopped the train back to France. Interesting fact: The gelato in France is a tiny little scoop. The gelato in Italy was a huge overspilling scoop. I'm glad we did it, but I'm glad to be back, if just to hear the french language again. Soooo beautiful! 

Fun Fact about Holland: So this woman was on the train with us from Holland. When I think of Holland, I think of fields of tulips and beauty. She said "Nah! It's awful! Totally flat. Flat flat flat! No hills, not interesting." Then I said, "But those tulips!" She said, "For two months only! The rest of the time it's cold, windy, rainy. It was only nice for about 2 weeks this whole summer. I'm here so I could see some sun!." She went on and on about how much she loved southern california and couldn't believe Venice Beach..."so free, so hippie, skating, biking, music. Everyone was just eating and doing things." Ha ha. I was like, "But Europe! Look at these buildings!" She said, "Pfsssh!" 
Perspective!

Time to wrap it up. Tomorrow at 6 a.m. we go home. 12 hour direct flight from Nice to SLC. I can't wait to get my hand on my babies. Not just my baby baby but all of my babies, every single one at every single age (except for my oldest one. Can't get my hands on him, but I get to get my hands on a phone and hear his voice. Excited.) Farewell. 

2 comments:

Misty said...

Wow - their wedding kiss is so unromantic. And cracked me up that your reference to having a tramp made my eyebrows raise until I realized that you meant a trampoline. Sorry. ;)

Unknown said...

So fun to read about your French adventures! Ok, that kiss is sick, and not in a good way. How old is he???The pic is disturbing.