Saturday, July 4, 2009

Musings on the 4th

Why is it that food tastes so much better at family get togethers? The sticky buns are so sticky with the crusted-on brown sugar and butterscotch. The hashbrowns are toasted just right. The fruit is bigger than usual and especially the pineapple is sweeter than you ever remember it. The bacon, the eggs with peppers, onions and salsa, the chocolate milk, juice, ice cold water.

Maybe it's the fact that everyone is lined up to get some, the smell permeating the house. Maybe it's all of the kids underfoot trying to get the "good stuff" before it's gone. Maybe it's because no one had to make it all--things always taste better when someone else makes it. Maybe it's because everyone is wearing red, blue and white. No, that probably has nothing to do with it.

July 4th. I think it is important for children growing up to know that there are traditions every year. For us, it is the big breakfast, water parade and then Park City fireworks at night. This year, I'm skipping out on the parade. Spence and I are about to drive home for some feet up time, and I'm not just saying that figuratively. Feet literally up at 38 weeks. He just came in from playing tennis with Uncle Gordon which is another good reason for family get togethers. My 17-year-old just played tennis with his 60-something :) uncle, and apparently got it handed to him on the court by the same said 60-something uncle. That's good for a boy.

At family gatherings, we get to hear about someone's trip to Senegal, someone's victory of their house selling this week, someone's dating and moving plans, someone retelling Brian Reegan. We get to listen to grown brothers still dissing and joking each other, watch teenage girls organize races with 4 year-old boys, see 8-10 year old girl cousins busily making plans for the next sleep over or club, and we just get to EAT.

These are the gatherings that connect our lives. Good day, July 4th is. Pics later..e

2 comments:

Brinkerhoffs said...

Hi Erin and Clan!

Erin, in case you're not familiar with who is leaving comment, it's your friend from Murray High, Becky Wong (Brinkerhoff). Your wonderful brother gave me your blog site so I can get in touch with you and say "Hi"! I'm so glad to see that you've found your "happily ever after" - no one deserves it more! I've become a follower and love your posts. Drop me an email if you get the chance and I wish you all the best with the coming baby!! You have a beautiful family!! Hugs, Becky

California Blakes said...

Erin,

Sad we missed out being together with the family this year. We are excited to see you in two weeks. I just have to say, you are an excellent writer. I have to write for a living and wish I could string sentences together like you do. Your blog is sure fun to read. - Mark