Saturday, December 11, 2010

This week has been a really good one. It culminated last night with me in tears of gratitude for getting this experience to live here. I know, I know! Tears of gratitude.

First off, I found my cell phone! It was in Brett's car on the side of the passenger seat. Who would ever look there?!

It's 75 here today. Seriously the most beautiful day. I used to hate when people from California would say that and now I'm doing it. I won't do it again, because I am sure I'll miss the snow really soon. Christmas morning, I'm sure I will. Just not yet.

The choir concert made me so happy. Maddie and Ali and their guy friends did a great job. I got to arrange both songs and play for them. I didn't really want to walk up and actually play for them, but writing out the music for someone else to play would have been worse! Maddie and Scott flirted it up on "Baby It's Cold Outside" to cheers and whistles from the audience. So fun.

Maddie and Scott after the concert.
Most hyper boy on the planet, Austin, and the Walters siblings. Jacob has been so fun for the girls to get to know.
We went to the Farmer's Market on Sat. and bought lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and best part, 3 bakery items from my favorite baker. She calls herself "A Bountiful Bakery" which is so fitting for us. Every time I go, she has new, delightful, mouthwatering desserts. I love it! This has become a Saturday morning ritual for us.

Christmas cards are almost done. A movie with Brett on Saturday. We decided that Saturdays between 5-8 is our weekly date night. This way, Maddie and Ali still get weekend nights to hang out with friends. Since they are still trying to get into the social scene here, and since they work so hard in school during the week, I don't want to take a weekend night away from them to babysit. So, this solves all. I love coming home at 8 anyway and putting on my jammies or sweats and curling up to a movie in bed.

Both the R.S. wreath making party and the Christmas dinner went well. I can now take a small breath and spend this week being a little elf, making toys (or buying stuff) before Spencer gets home and the kids get out of school on Friday.

Last night was a stake musical event. That's all I knew. I offered to help a friend with refreshments so I was there. I was so not prepared for this program. I could not believe the talented people performing. We had an orchestra play a Bach piece and it was amazing. I learned later that many of them are in the LA Philharmonic. Then, Manhattan Transfer type groups, bagpipes, french horn, jazz trumpet numbers, and my personal favorite, a live band playing about 4 numbers. What made it even better was this live band was so incredibly good. The guitarist is a professional guitarist in my ward and the piano guy looked exactly like Snape from Harry Potter. Think British rock guy and transport him to an LDS stake center and it was great. (Yes it was at a Stake Center, but the band was super acoustic and Christmas with light percussion, not full on drums. A stand up bass instead of an electric bass. Maddie's friend also played guitar with them and he told Maddie that the piano guy has played for Michael Jackson. Love it!

Even though I had enjoyed the entire night, the tears came when the Korean branch stood up and sang 3 Christmas songs in Korean. They sounded so beautiful. There were some white, probably returned missionaries, mixed in there singing too and they were accompanied by a 12-14 year-old boy. For some reason, this really touched me. Hearing these Korean people sing out in another language, but the same songs about Jesus Christ at Christmas. I started crying.

I realized that we can never see into the future. We have to trust that Heavenly Father CAN and that He DOES lead our lives! Why do I have to learn that lesson over and over? I know it, but sometimes I don't KNOW it. I am now realizing that all I am doing here is meeting more people I can learn from, enjoy and love. There are so many good people, good things in every place. One is not better than another, just different. I'm so grateful for this experience! I am just starting to really see all that it is and can be. I'm so grateful to Brett for being so patient with me and with our girls. He's just let us figure it out and struggle sometimes, but always staying positive and reminding us that we need to have faith. Faith=Good. Fear=Bad. Looking for the Positive=Good. Looking at Negative=Bad. Simple right? Ok then.

2 comments:

Gina B. said...

I really wish I could have been there to hear the girls sing! That sounds marvelous. I'm so glad you played for them.

Kimi said...

That stake music night sounds pretty cool! Wowzers!

I'm glad you like it there. Might as well. I don't mind you telling me the temp. I like it when people are warm.

Not to brag, but it's 27 here. I don't have a car today, so had to walk down to the school nearly killing myself on all the ice. That hill is STEEP! SO hoping no one was watching me walk/slide down that giant hill. Walked in just as the school Christmas program started, so no need for poem pass-offs today. Walked back home. Good times. Hope Christian is having a great time on the slopes, to which he drove my van!