Friday, December 31, 2010

Grammar Nazi

The most looked up words in Webster's Online Dictionary:

pretentious-Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance.

ubiquitous- Present. Being everywhere. Similar to omnipresent.

love-

The first one was easy for me. Pretentious. I have used that before. My goal, never be pretentious. However, I have never used the word ubiquitous. Let's use it in a sentence... Here is one from Moby Dick.

1851 — Herman MelvilleMoby Dick, Chapter 41
One of the wild suggestions referred to, as at last coming to be linked with the White Whale in the minds of the superstitiously inclined, was the unearthly conceit that Moby Dick was ubiquitous; that he had actually been encountered in opposite latitudes at one and the same instant of time.


Love. People apparently want to just know what the true meaning of love is. Do you want to know?

LOVE:  (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>


You know what I think? You don't need to define love. We know what love is. When you feel it, you know it. Most powerful emotion given to us as human beings. Primary motivator for everything else we do. LOVE.


Totally unrelated pictures:
Clippers vs Jazz game in cool Uncle Mark's box seats. I was home grimacing every time I swallowed with a baby grimacing every time she coughed.
 Spencer and Michaela who is here visiting along with Luke. Very sweet, beautiful girl, inside as much as out. 

My favorite Christmas Day photo

Ice Skating in L.A yesterday. I'm still at home grimacing and now coughing profusely.
 Sydney loving it between Spencer's friends Xando and Luke. Luke leaves for Cambodia on a mission in a few months. 

Wild Animal Kingdom

Finally, and I wish I had a picture, Maddie had 10 teenagers over here last night playing pounce, other games, laughing, eating. This sounds weird, but it was the first time we have really had a group in our home like that. When we first moved here, I thought it would never happen. We were pretty solitary here for a while. I bought food, and then snuck out of the kitchen, got in bed, finished my book, coughed and grimaced away, but smiled as I listened to the laughter. 

3 comments:

Kimi said...

So glad you are starting to have your house filled with teens again.

So sorry you're sick.

Love you. Miss you.

Ver. Word: siblet

Siblet is when your really good friend's maiden name is the same as your married name. It's like you're siblets.

I love you my little siblet!

Erin Blake said...

:) :)

Amy and Brad said...

Love those pics - especially the last one of your whole fam. Awesome.

PS - Word Verification: SHIATI. I think it sounds like an expletive and I am going to mutter it the next time I stub my toe!