Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Best Jobs Ever

What a great hour I just had. It is Saturday afternoon and right now, gone are the Saturdays where I am working in the yard or cleaning the house...sweating until 6p.m. or so, then rushing to go on some kind of date with Brett.

Today I slept until 9:30, because the baby woke up at 2:30 and then 5:30 each time for an hour. So, after I got my groggy self out of bed, I fed the little one. Next came scones, bacon and smoothies. We were all craving scones and they were so good. Then, surprise surprise..time to feed the little one again. As I sat in my comfy chair in my room, I turned on the TV. I have really never watched tv on Saturday. I couldn't imagine that I would find one thing of interest to me.

BUT GUESS WHAT I WAS SO LUCKY TO SEE?

1- Rick Steve's travel show featuring ITALY, more particularly, ROME. It was so detailed, I felt like I was there. He started on the Spanish Steps, featured St. Peter's Basilica and then Bernini's sculptural masterpieces. How sweet. I was in Rome for half an hour.

2-Art Wolfe's "Travels to the Edge." This featured his trip to Bhutan and their culture, their monasteries high on the mountains' edges and the peaceful way they live their lives. Their clothing is rich with color and they have bright prayer flags waving in the wind everywhere. Beautiful children peeked their big eyes out from windows or doorways and then, snap, it would show the finished photograph that Art Wolfe had captured. So cool.

What great jobs they both have. Rick writes travel guides, so must sample all local food, find the best hotels and convey the culture to the masses....people like me.

Art is so talented. I have long admired his work. I am jealous of him, mostly in behalf of my photographer brother. He gets to shoot wildlife in Africa (last week's show, which I also got to see as I was feeding Baby Kate.) He gets to travel anywhere in the world, work with a local guide and then photograph amazing pictures.

Wouldn't it be cool to have Art Wolfe and Rick Steves over for dinner each time they return from a trip? How visceral of an experience would that be? (I will attempt to work that word in every post for the next 10 posts) Well it would be. "So Art, how was Mongolia? Show me the photos." "What's that Rick? You played with reindeer there? Wow. Tell me about it. How cold does it get there?"

Well, I have to go, uh, feed the baby again. What can I do? e

3 comments:

Melwel said...

I appreciate the enriched vocabulary lessons...keep it up for 9 more posts!

Unknown said...

Pick a new word. Please.
Rick is kind of dorky, but I love his show and books.

Erin Blake said...

Done. I'll surprise you.